You may have heard the word “Gospel” before, and never have known what it really meant. Perhaps you thought it referred merely to the first four books of the New Testament – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Maybe you thought it meant “positively true”, because you heard it used in a saying like this: “It’s the gospel truth.”
Actually, the word “Gospel” means “Good News.” It is the good news about God’s love for us, and the wonderful things He has done for us. Open your Bible (or New Testament), and we will see some of the great things it says about the Gospel.
Before we get into this study, I want to teach you something about studying your Bible. In the front of it, you will see a Table of Contents listing all the various books. Use this to find your way around the Bible until you become familiar with their locations. Also, you will notice that notation is used something like this: Romans 1:16. It means: The book of Romans, Chapter One, Verse Sixteen. Become familiar with what these notations mean. Finally, pray for understanding whenever you read God’s Word!
O.K. Let’s start in and see what is said about the Gospel. Look up the Bible reference given, then write out the answer in your own words.
1. What does Romans 1:16 say that the Gospel is to everyone who believes?
That’s important, isn’t it? Let’s take a look at the Gospel in four steps.
** STEP ONE — GOD’S LOVE **
2. What is the one word in John 3:16 that describes why God sent His Son for you and me?
3. Look at John 10:10; why did Jesus come?
** STEP TWO — THE PROBLEM **
Sin is doing things our way instead of God’s way. The Bible says that our sins have separated us from God. 4. How many of us have sinned? (Romans 3:23)
5. What is the result of this sin? (Romans 6:23)
** STEP THREE — THE SOLUTION **
God sent His Son, Jesus, to die for our sins, and to conquer its death by raising Him from the dead. This way we can come to God and receive all the good things He has for us.
6. What did Christ go through to bring us to God? (1 Peter 3:18)
7. True or false: God loved us and did this for us because we were so good that we deserved it. (Romans 5:8)
8. Is being saved from sins something that I work for, or something God freely gives me? (Ephesians 2:8,9)
9. Is there any other way to the Father except Jesus? (John 14:6)
** STEP FOUR — HOW IT WORKS **
Now that we know what God has done, we need to receive the result into our lives.
10. How does one become a child of God? (John 1:12)
11. What must we do to have Christ come into our hearts? (Revelation 3:20)
What step are you on?
Do you know that God loves you?
Will you admit that you have sinned?
Do you realize that Jesus is the answer to your problems?
Have you received Him as the one who saves you?
If you haven’t received Him, you might want to do it in a prayer like this:
“Heavenly Father, I confess that I am a sinner, and I thank You that You love me anyway. I believe that Jesus died and rose for me. I accept Him into my life. I turn from my way of doing things, to Your way, and give the control of my life to You. Thank You for this Good News.”
Did you receive Jesus?
If so, then God has forgiven you made you His child, and come into you. He said that He would, and He never breaks His word.
12. Read 1 John 5:11,12. Because you have received Jesus, God says that you now have something. What is it?
After you have completed this Bible study, please send it back to us. We will check it and return it to you as fast as we can. Make sure you check in tommorow for the next study.
Mail your completed study to:
Somebody Loves You Ministries
22324 Golden Springs Dr.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765-2449